Wednesday, May 27, 2009

What drives YOU?

Good evening everyone,

I hope this blog finds everyone doing well and enjoying their memories of Memorial Day 2009. I thought I'd start this blog with a question asked to many different people-not just athletes, elected officials, or my NSA teammates, but to all in general, and that is....what drives YOU?

I thought I'd discuss this because on Sunday I had an interesting experience. I will be attending the American Institute of Stuttering's Gala on June 8, and as I was at MW Tux getting fitted, I noticed the salesman staring incessantly at his watch, no doubt wanting to leave. When I asked him about it, he nonchalantly said, "These days, that's what drives me." You see, ask anyone that question, and it wouldn't be surprising you'll get a plethora of answers. For some, it's watching the workday tick down until they can escape their cubicle. For others, it's the rush of adrenaline, the sequence of opening and closing a deal...for an attorney, winning a big case and earning justice for someone who was wronged. But if you want to know what drives me, it's my love and desire for the National Stuttering Association and wanting to help them achieve all the successes we can, working with those who stutter.

A few days ago, I had the pleasure of reading "Intelligence for Your Life" by John Tesh. I just started listening to his radio show a few months ago. He used to host "Entertainment Tonight" and was well-known for his celebrity interviews, until he decided to pursue his own passion for broadcasting, leading to his show, described as "life coaching on the radio." In one of the chapters, he talks about finding your passion and how to achieve success through that. In one one of his early projects, he recorded music for fans of the Tour de France, and despite rejections from the record companies, continued on, even buying advertisement time on CBS with his credit card. And he even admitted he did not have any type of marketing degree. He states that the passion will eventually reveal itself, it's just a matter of time.

I guess in my high school and college years, my passion was writing. I love to write and I'm very expressive with the pen. Unfortunately, I don't do much of that now, but this blog allows me to use a "mental pen" if you will. In some ways, my darkest hours of my life led to my brightest passion of all, to work with the National Stuttering Association. That isn't going away, because I won't let it. Plain and simple, without passion, nothing in life is worth doing. Sometimes the hardest lessons are learned after the fact, but consider this....it also opens up avenues to which we never knew existed.

My name is Steven Kaufman, and I am a person who stutters. Until next time, stand up and be counted. Make your voice heard.

1 comment:

Pamm said...

Good post, SK. You are driven. You are a great writer, and its nice to read your honest thoughts. I find a great deal of freedom in written expression. And its nice to know people are reading and getting something from our shares.

Keep up the good work!